Fuzz Martin is giving up meat for Lent, so as a supporting blogger, I've decided to share my potato soup recipe. It is just about the easiest soup in the world, and if you can't make a white sauce and cook a potato, you probably don't belong in the kitchen. ;)
Baked Potato Soup
- 4-6 large baking potatoes
- 2/3 cups butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black or white pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup (8oz.) sour cream
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Version 1. Bake the potatoes until done. Cool completely, peel and cube.
Version 2. Boil potatoes until tender. Drain.
Version 3. Nuke those potatoes. (Poke holes in them first, please).
In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes and green onions. Garnish with bacon and cheese.
Yield: 10 servings