BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Apple Grilled Cheese

I found this recipe in a vegetarian kids cookbook, Better Than Peanut Butter and Jelly, which had some very interesting recipes. The one I ended up making was the Grilled Cheese With Apple Slices. Sort of. I actually only glanced at the recipe, and returned the book without writing it down. So my version, which may or may not be vegetarian, is such.

2 slices white bread
margarine
cheddar cheese
2 apple slices, from a cored, peeled and crosswise sliced apple (so you get round slices), granny smith

Spread a thin layer of margarine on the outsides of the bread. Arrange the two apple slices so that you have maximum coverage of the bread, top with cheddar cheese, the other slice of bread, and grill over medium heat until golden brown.

My next attempt, if this turns out well, will be to make a grownup version. Adding ham, using homemade Hi-Rise cornbread (excellent sandwich bread), and using miracle whip instead of margarine. Possibly adding a piece of mozzarella cheese, too. Mmm... I'm drooling just thinking of it.



Update: The sandwiches turned out well. I think a golden delicious instead of granny smith might be a little better though. The granny smiths were almost too tart/sour. Otherwise, not half bad.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Those look interestingly good. I think I might try that today for Ian's lunch. He LOVE cheese and apples so why now put them together. All I have are honeycrip apples, so hopefully those turn out good. I'll let you know.

Shana said...

Ooh, I bet honeycrisp would taste good. I'm not a big fan of granny smith, and it just seemed to need something more sweet.

Katrina said...

The sandwich with a honeycrip apple was delicious. Ian liked it and so did I. Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making these again.

Shana said...

I will have to try that!