BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

WMFW


This week's WFMW is another recipe, since I do love to cook. A lot. I also like to feed other people until they are stuffed, especially my husband. I try to keep it simple, and easy, 'cuz it's not like I have a ton of time, and I really hate cleaning. Don't forget to check out Rocks In My Dryer for more great WFMW tips.

So, here is my recipe today. These are great with mashed potatoes, and my Black Pepper Biscuits from last week's Tasty Thursday, or biscuits made with cheddar cheese. A side of French Cut green beans (my kid's favorite) with a little butter salt and pepper, and you're good to go.

Barbequed Meatballs

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ lbs. ground beef, uncooked
Sauce:
1 cup catsup
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup chopped onion
½ teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1 inch balls and place in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan or dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink. In the meantime, combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour over meatballs. Bake 15 minutes longer.

8 comments:

Justice Fergie said...

these sounds delish!! where do you find liquid smoke?

Shana said...

Actually, I don't even use it. I really don't even measure anything, since I've been making it so long. I have seen liquid smoke in a few areas, two of them being the barbecue sauce section, and the other being the baking spice section. They may have them in both. Like I said though, I never use it so I don't know what it does to the flavor.

You can also use 1 cup of rolled oats in place of the breadcrumbs. The original recipe called for oats, but I don't like that texture as much.

Christa said...

Now THAT sounds tasty! We love meatballs here, so I may have to try your recipe.

About the ants/vinegar trick - how often did you pour the vinegar on the house? Vinegar was my answer to ant spray for INSIDE, since we are allergic to everything under the sun, but we did use regular insecticide on the outside. I'd love to use vinegar on the patio were the kids play, though. Can you help? Did you have to repeat it over and over or did a couple of times get rid of the ants.

Heather said...

These sound wonderful! Thanks!

Shana said...

I just remember my mom taking the big jug of vinegar and pouring it around the edges of the house, basically where the house meets the ground. I even thought of taking a spray bottle and doing the window edges when we lived on the second floor. I don't remember how often, but I'd say after a good rain would be a good time, since it's probably washed away easily. Thankfully, vinegar isn't as expensive as a lot of other things, and it always worked well for us. A lot better than the sticky red liquid ant traps. Those seemed to attract them.

Mom2fur said...

Wow, do I ever love you. You just gave me tonight's main dish, LOL! I have everything but the evap milk...and I'm heading to the grocery this morning. I'll pull some twice-baked potatoes from the freezer, and I've already got corn shucked. Yep...we're eatin' good tonight!

Shana said...

Lol! That's pretty funny. You could probably get away with regular milk instead of evaporated milk if you needed to. I think I've done it a few times without any issues.

Mike said...

I love barbeque. And I love meatballs. I'll try your recipe.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/