BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Review: DeLonghi Deep Fryer

So, after quite a bit of consideration, drooling, and debating what to review, I finally decided on a deep fryer. I like frying things, but feel like I waste so much money throwing out the oil every time I use it, because I don't want to store it in my pot on my stovetop for several weeks. So, I thought a deep fryer would fix that to a degree.


We decided to go with the DeLonghi, mostly because I have been happy with their products in the past, and felt that I would be happy with this setup as well. It seemed to have everything I was looking for, so it made a good choice for us.

Firstly, let me review the customer service with CSN. It is really great. I ordered this late in the afternoon last week, and had it on my table the next day. I was very impressed with that, because I was sure I had ordered it too late in the day for it to have arrived that quickly. But arrive it did, and I got to work digging out my recipes.

First up, of course, were wontons. Wontons are something I have been making for nearly 20 years. That's how much I love this recipe. I found it the recipe in an old, yellow, Chinese cookbook when I was 13 and doing a project for our Social Studies class. It is a family favorite, and something that I don't make nearly often enough. I do try to make it once a year at least, maybe twice if I'm in the mood for it. And I was definitely ready to make a batch or two to test out the new fryer. I will include my recipe at the bottom of the review, in case you were wondering.

Now, onto the fryer. I am fairly happy with the overall performance of the fryer, except for one thing... It comes with a sensor to tell you when the oil is hot enough once you've turned the unit on. However, I found with several different tries at making fried items (we found a few goodies at the grocery store just to test it out in various situations as well)... I found that the initial few batches seemed like the oil wasn't hot enough. Eventually it seemed to warm up to the right temperature, but it took a little longer than the sensor seemed to indicate. But, nothing I can't work around just by being a little more patient. And we all could use a little more patience, right?

Overall, I am happy with the performance of the unit. I intend to drain it and filter the oil within the next few days, but that looks pretty easy so I'm not too worried about it. Now the only trick will be finding space in my miniscule kitchen to store it. But I'm sure we can find a home for it easily enough.

Now, for the recipe! As a side note, I don't bother measuring any of these things anymore, and usually add more than called for. I would start with this as a base, and increase ingredients as desired. Personally, I like quite a bit more ginger and scallions, and also a little more sugar and soy sauce. Be careful with the liquids though, it's easy to overdo it and then you have a liquidy mess that leaks out of the wontons. Which, as I found out, will affect the taste of other things fried in the oil. I got a little carried away this time. But, they were still good. I also usually make a double batch, but that disappeared so quickly this time that I will probably quadruple it next time, especially now that I have convinced my daughter to help me out. She enjoyed it, and it was an easy task for her to fill the wonton wrappers and seal them up. If you try these, please comment and let me know what you think! I have loved this recipe for so long, and whenever I serve it to friends they are always amazed by the flavors and beg for more. It will be a hit at parties everywhere.

Happy frying!


Shana's Wontons

1 whole boneless chicken breast, cooked

2 scallions

1 thin slice ginger root

¼ cup fresh parsley

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon cornstarch

2 teaspoons soy sauce

½ teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon oil

1 pkg. wonton wrappers or egg roll wrappers cut into 4ths.

1 egg, lightly beaten

Oil for frying

Mince and mix the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. In a small bowl mix the remaining ingredients (excluding the wrappers and the egg). Combine both mixtures and allow to stand for 30 minutes. Place a teaspoon of mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. Using a chopstick or the back of a spoon, place a small amount of egg around two edges of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half, touching the sides with egg to the sides without egg, forming a triangle. The egg will seal the edges shut. Deep fry in oil until a deep golden brown. Serve warm or chilled.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

The wontons sound really good.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the wonton recipe, sounds yummy and I've wondered for a while about deep fryers and if they actually get hot enough, I'm interested in the 'no splatter' potential because we fry quite a bit (I know its bad) and I always worry about the kids coming too near the hot oil or grease.

Shana said...

This is a cool touch model, so the outside of the unit stays cool, which is nice. I didn't have any of the splattering I usually have when I fry in a pot on the stove either, which was also nice.