BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tasty Thursday

Today's recipe is one that I picked up from a calendar from Pfaltzgraff, when I was buying table decorations for my wedding. It was one of those free calendars that they handed out with purchases, so I took it home and leafed through it. This is really the first yeast bread I had ever made (so the first few attempts were a bit scary, since I had never worked with yeast before), but now it's a family favorite and one of the softest breads I have in my arsenal. I've been making it now since just before my husband and I were married. It's a great bread to match with just about anything, especially a nice brothy chicken soup.

Herb Peel-Away Bread

3 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 packages rapid rise yeast
1 Tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 cup water
6 Tablespoon butter, divided
1 egg, room temperature

Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt, yeast and herbs in a large mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, combine water and 4 tablespoons butter. Heat until hot to touch (125-130 degrees F.). Add liquid to dry ingredients. Stir in egg and just enough of remaining flour to form soft dough. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 4 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Let rise, covered, for 10 minutes. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch square (it's important to measure!). Melt 2 tablespoons butter; brush dough surface with butter. Cut into 36 squares (6x6). Place squares butter side down, 12 in a layer, in a greased 9x5x3" loaf pan. Let rise, covered, in a warm place until doubled in bulk. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes.

Makes 1 loaf.

Don't forget to visit the Pumkin Patch for more great Tasty Thursday recipes!

5 comments:

Lorie said...

Yummy!

Monique said...

I have a similar recipe for pull-apart-rolls, never thought of doing a loaf! Thanks for sharing!

Renee said...

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing. Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a keeper. Thanks for sharing.


MJ

Anonymous said...

This looks like a keeper. Thanks for sharing.


MJ